Tuesday, September 1, 2009

1st day ends


Well, we've ended the day - food wise, at least.
So far - OK, but a bit of fudging until we can get to town tomorrow and clarify some things.

Lunch was easy. I had a salad from our garden with dressing made from our homemade red wine vinegar and Napa olive oil (will get more local oil in town) with Albacore tuna I bought off of the boat out at the marina on Humboldt Bay and canned last year.

The photo is of the marina at Woodley Island on Humboldt Bay.

Dinner was a house vegetarian favorite (never did defrost any beef), Tofu Tias. These are a tofu burrito that has converted some very anti-Tofu types to gladly eating bean curd - at least in this guise.

As part of the challenge I was told that spice mixes I made myself were OK, and the Tia spice is all mine. I have a fondness for premixing herb and spice blends for my cooking. See my post "I'm All Mixed Up" for some of my favorites. This one is derived from a favorite dish from Toby's Tofu Palace in Eugene, Oregon (and at the Oregon Country Fair). We experimented until we came up with a blend that mimicked the original close enough for our taste.

TOFU TIAS:
Take firm tofu and cut into 1/2 inch cubes and let sit to drain. I use a wooden bowl, but I think a colander might be better.
Chop some onion and garlic.
Sometimes green pepper as well.
Saute these vegetables in oil, then add tofu cubes and fry until lightly golden. Sometimes they don't turn, but just keep sweating. No matter, it's good anyway.
Sprinkle with the Tia Spice at the rate of 1 Tblsp. spice per pound of tofu.
Stir and cook a bit then add a shot of tamari soy sauce.

Serve in heated tortilla with shredded lettuce, green onion, chopped tomato, sprouts - whatever. Top with salsa and a dollop of sour cream if desired. Enjoy!

TIA SPICE
NOTE: All measurements are very, very approximate!
Mix together about 50% nutritional yeast, 25% chili powder, then add onion powder, garlic powder,dried parsley, tumeric, salt, & white pepper.

Our Tias used Tofu Shop tofu from Arcata, Bien Padre tortillas from Eureka, lettuce, tomato and homemade salsa from our garden. On the side was a cucumber salad and corn on the cob - all from the garden. And a splash of that Diablo Sauce (we like to live dangerously!) We drank water.
The ingredient that may have been a no-no was the Tamari Soy Sauce. I buy it from the bulk dispenser at the co-op, so it is in an unmarked bottle. I have no idea at all as to its point of origin, so will find out tomorrow.

Did have a glass of nice Napa wine. A bottle or 2 of Humboldt, Mendocino, or Lake Co. wine will have to wait until I get to town as well.

Not, perhaps, a perfect start, but quite acceptable, I think.

I see tomorrow, having to eat on the road, as being a much bigger challenge. We'll see.

One day down - 29 to go!

1 comment:

  1. These tofu tias sound wonderful - although I don't have any of my own hot sauce...Just made a batch of tomatillo sauce though. I can't wait to try this at home for my challenge - Thanks!
    -alisha, Relaxed Humboldtian

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis