Thursday, September 3, 2009

LocalCarnivore...

My husband has been known as a cheeseburger aficionado, so the way to best engage him in this project was via the local ingredients cheesburger. But we will come back to that...

A busy day today, business, canning (tomatoes, as mentioned and turkey stock from a bird we ate just before the challenge started, but never got to the apples), farm chores and afternoon babysitting of our granddaughter.

For lunch I had a cucumber and tomato sandwich on Co-op Bakery bread. My favorite, but sans mayo... I used Lindah's Hot & Sweet mustard instead. I LOVE this mustard... but something was lacking, so I had to make some mayonnaise.
I have not made mayo in a looong time, and then only by hand with a whisk, but I did not have the time. So I brought out my trusty Joy of Cooking (the latest edition - I have 4) and the blender and made a pint + of mayonnaise so easy & fast I couldn't believe it. Cool!
It is done thus:
Place in blender:
1 large egg at room temp
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
dash cayenne
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. vege. oil (I did not want to use flavorful olive oil, so I used organic safflower, the other salad oil I keep around.)
Blend on high with lid on until combined well and slowly add 1/2 c. vege. oil followed by 3 Tblsp. fresh lemon juice, white wine vinegar, or a combination therof.
When thoroughly blended slowly add:
1/2 c. vege. oil and blend until thick, scraping down sides of blender as needed.

That's it!
This done and an extra pint size jar at hand. I started some sour cream as well by putting 2 cups heavy Humboldt Creamery cream and 2 Tblsp. of their cultured buttermilk in it and shaking vigorously. After sitting, covered, 24 hours in a warm place it should be thick, delicious, sour cream.

Dinner was our special all-American LocalVore cheeseburger with a side of coleslaw. I made the burgers the same as always, with local to our immediate area organic grass-fed beef, my "Meat Treat" herb blend, garden onion & garlic, but without salt or Worchestershire sauce mixed in. We melted some Loleta Sharp Cheddar on top and served them on Brio Bakery focaccia with garden lettuce & tomato and the new homemade Mayo. The coleslaw was the shredded cabbage & carrot classic with chopped parsley, all from the garden. The dressing was the American classic as well, with a twist: Homemade mayonnaise & red wine vinegar, local milk, honey, and - my exception - salt.
We paired it with the rest of the bottle of Vinatura Red Table Wine. It was much better with a stout burger to balance it.

To meet the challenge as closely as I can, I'm mostly cooking without salt and not adding any at the table. As much as possible, I have been seasoning exclusively with herbs and condiments.
My personal opinion is that most food is really just a vehicle for a good condiment and, because of that, I have always made a lot of them. I also keep good store-bought ones in the pantry. I am delighted that Fred's Horseradish and mustards are from our bio-region. One of them will work it's way into the menu before the month is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis