Saturday, September 19, 2009

Thursday - my "Friday"- night



I do volunteer Emergency Medical Dispatching for Southern Trinity Area Rescue (S.T.A.R.) one weekend a month and will be on call starting tomorrow at 5pm. So we tend to make pre-call Thursday our "Friday" night for R&R.
The day starts with the now common tea, pears, and Brio toast with chevre. I am jealous of you coffee drinkers as I have no loophole, only an exception, that lets me have my morning brew!

It's a work day, of course, but we get the orders out and shop work done by 1pm. So we get to work outdoors after trying out the Premiere chicken apple sausage for lunch, split and fried and in a sandwich w/ fried pepper Casa Lindah mustard. Yum.

We water and harvest and do remedial repair (literally baling twine and duct tape) on the broken branches of an apple tree. Hopefully the fruit will ripen, then we can prune the branches as properly needs to be done. Too many apples and too much wind is a bad combination for a young tree.
I also whip up another batch of mayonnaise. I am still amazed how quick that is! I may never go back to buying it.

Dinner is a local (Hydesville) lamb chop that we got from Eureka natural Foods. We grill it and serve it with w/ peach salsa made with a slightly under ripe peach from one of our trees, grilled vegies (see photo) and Brio bread. We toast to life with Elk Prairie Pinot.

Grilled vegetables are another of our favorites of summer. We serve them in big slices, as we did tonight, or cubed on skewers over rice or couscous. I marinate them sliced, in oil and vinegar (our home made red wine vinegar), minced garlic and rosemary, basil and oregano. Usually I add salt & black pepper, but I am still trying to stay away from non-local salt as much as possible, and black pepper altogether, for the month. There is nothing as wonderful as grilled eggplant. Absolutely the best way to eat it.

The peach salsa was peach, onion, garlic and green pepper, chopped small. To this I added 1 minced jalapeno, chopped parsley and a splash of my vinegar (where I would have used lime juice). Came out just fine.

Even without restricting it intentionally, most of what we have been eating has come from within Humboldt County only. We are blessed with a rich variety of local foodstuffs.

2 comments:

ShareThis